Sunday, October 5, 2008

Combining the Fields

com·bine [kom-bahyn] verb, -bined, -bin·ing, noun
-noun
a harvesting machine for cutting and threshing grain in the field.
-verb
to harvest (grain) with a combine.


It has been years since I have ridden in a combine. When I was little (probably around 5 or 6), I would go out to Gramma Dorothy's farm with Grampa George. Many times I would ride along with Grampa as he combined. Most of the time I spose I just slept by his feet or listened to the radio or colored pictures...don't really remember. My favorite part was getting into the grain truck and chewing the fresh grain. If you chewed it long enough, it took on a gum like consistency...kind of gross I spose but when we were kids we loved it!! Here are a few pictures of Taylor and I riding along with my Uncle Kirk. It was so cool to do this as an adult. Thanks Grampa & Kirk for letting us tag along for awhile!!
Here is the grain truck

If you were outside next to the truck when the combine would come around, you would have to jump into a vehicle so that you weren't breathing in the huge amount of dust from the hull and stalk that was 'spit' out the back. The whole process was a really amazing thing.

While we were up there I thought of the story of Ruth and Boaz and how she would go behind the workers getting the leftover grain. This would have been a very nice piece of equipment for them I'm sure ;)


No comments: